Girl Scouts yard sale Saturday
Girl Scouts in the Botetourt/Montvale Service Unit are having a yard sale Saturday, April 8 from 7 a.m.-1 p.m., with a bag sale at noon.
It will be held at Troutville Church of the Brethren, 5133 Lee Highway, Troutville, rain or shine. Proceeds support the Service Unit.
Botetourt Chorus bake sale April 14
The Botetourt County Chorus will have a bake sale on Friday, April 14 in front of the Buchanan Town Hall, beginning at 8 a.m. There will be lots of baked goods for Easter. For more information, call Faye at 798-8142.
Buchanan Dates To Remember
• Garden Vendors Wanted – The Town of Buchanan is accepting garden vendor applications for the third annual Buchanan Garden Festival scheduled for Saturday, May 13. Applications are available online at www.townofbuchanan.com or from the Buchanan Town Hall. If you have “garden-themed” items including plants, flowers, outdoor living, handmade crafts, antiques or art with a flower or garden theme, this event offers an opportunity to display and sell those items. For additional information, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Civil War History Weekend – The Town of Buchanan is accepting Civil War Weekend applications for re-enactors, sutlers and vendors for the upcoming Civil War History Weekend scheduled for April 28, 29 and 30. Applications are available online at www.townofbuchanan.com or from the Buchanan Town Hall. For additional information, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Second Sunday Dinner – The community is invited enjoy dining in the historic Wilson Warehouse this Sunday, April 9 from 12 noon until 2 p.m. for the monthly Second Sunday Dinner.
April’s menu consists of baked ham, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, green beans, dinner roll and choice of dessert. Dine and carry out meals are $10 per person with proceeds going toward maintenance of the historic Wilson Warehouse/Community House.
• Third Fridays Block Party & Cruise In – Buchanan is welcoming spring on Friday, April 21 with the start of its monthly Third Fridays Block Party & Cruise Ins. DJ Randy Riddle will provide a blend of music spanning from the ‘50s through today. Visitors will be able to rediscover a simpler time when folks drove into town following a long week of work to grab a bite to eat, visit with friends, shop late and take in a movie. If you are interested in setting up as part of the Buchanan Community Market, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Buchanan Lions Club – Members meet at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. Members will meet at North Star Restaurant on Thursday, April 13.
• Easter Coconut Cake Orders – Pick up of cakes is on Friday, April 14. All proceeds go toward the upkeep of the historic Wilson Warehouse/Community House.
Movie at the libraries
The Botetourt County Libraries will show the film “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” in April.
This spin-off of the Harry Potter franchise jumps back in time to explore the wizarding world of 1926. An author studying fantastic beasts arrives in New York City and gets caught up in a larger conflict when some of the creatures in his care are accidentally released.The movie is rated PG-13 and is not intended for young children. The film runs for 133 minutes.
Remaining show times are: Thursday, April 6 at 4 – Blue Ridge; Wednesday, April 19 at 4 – Fincastle’ and Thursday, April 20 at 4 – Buchanan. All movies are free and snacks will be provided.
Essential Oils for Beginners class
An Essential Oils for Beginners Class will be held in the Buchanan Library meeting room on Monday, April 17. There are two sessions, one at 3 p.m. and one at 6:30 p.m.
The beginners class is designed to answer questions about essential oils— such as health benefits and help with pain, allergies, sleep, chronic ailments like diabetes, etc.
The class is taught by Diane DiPalma.
For those who want their questions answered anonymously, they can be dropped in the box on the library counter at the beginning of class.
Wildflower program at Buchanan Library
Ellen Holtman, a Roanoke Master Gardening volunteer, will be at the Buchanan Library on April 13 at 10 a.m. to present a program on wildflowers. She will be talking about native wildflowers in Virginia. The free wildflower program is sponsored by the Friends of the Buchanan Library and everyone is invited. The library is located at 19795 Main Street, 928-3005.
Horseback riding trail ride at Douthat April 29
The Mountain Riders Horseback Riding Trail group is holding an invitational ride at Douthat State Park on Saturday, April 29. Long ride begins at 11 a.m. and a short ride at 1 p.m. Meet at the Day Parking Lot and be ready to ride at these times. $8 for the day and dinner will be provided to all registered participants following the rides at 5 p.m. Bring lawn chairs and drinks. To register, contact Kendal Duvall at 540-815-0928 by April 24 at 5 p.m.
Attic accepting registration for Youth Summer Camp
Attic Productions is accepting registrations for its upcoming Youth Summer Camp. Camp dates are June 19-23 from 9 a.m.-12:35 p.m. The age levels are rising third graders through rising 10th graders. The camp registration fee is $100 per camper until May 1. After May 1, the registration fee increases to $125. This camp will be limited to 28 campers. The camp will consist of four workshops covering basic acting techniques, basic theater etiquette and auditioning tips, music with dance, and play production. There will be a closing night performance Friday, June 23. Contact Ninette Cox for more information and registration forms, email@example.com.