VDOT road work includes new stoplight arm at US 220/US 11, work on I-81, bridge replacement on White Church Road
The following is a list of forecasted highway projects that may impact traffic traveling in Botetourt County, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation:
- As part of the continued work at the I-81 Exit 150 interchange, new mast arms for signals will be placed at the US11/US220/A220 intersection next week.
The work was delayed last week because of the weather and has been rescheduled to be performed Monday, June 5 though Thursday, June 9 during nighttime hours after 10 p.m.
Law enforcement will need to stop traffic in the area for a period of 5 to 10 minutes periodically while the mast arms are being raised and hung.
Traffic in each direction will be impacted, although all lanes will not be impacted during the stoppage. Only those lanes in the traffic pattern of the arm placement will be affected directly.
Minor delays should be expected. Drivers are encouraged to use caution in this work zone and prepare to come to a stop when required.
- Weather permitting, alternating lane closures will be in place on a section of I-81 northbound from mile marker 149 to mile marker 152.
Work will include milling, paving, pavement marking and guardrail upgrades. Work will be performed Sundays-Thursdays from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
The on ramp to I-81 north from US 220 north may be closed at times from midnight to 5 a.m. Estimated completion is fall 2017.
Extended weekend lane closures for that section are scheduled as follows:
- Friday, June 2, right lane closure from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- Saturday, June 3, right lane closure from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m.
Alternating lane closures are back in place on north and southbound I-81 between mile marker 164 and 166.
On Sunday nights, work is between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Monday-Thursday nights, work is between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. Work includes improvements to the shoulders and repairs to the bridge deck over the James River. Estimated completion of this project is fall 2017.
A motorcycle detour is also in place on I-81 northbound beginning at Exit 162. All motorcycles should exit I-81 northbound at Exit 162 and follow the motorcycle detour on US 11 northbound to re-enter I-81 northbound at Exit 167. This detour will be in effect continuously until October 2017
- Route 666 Bridge Replacement – Beginning Friday June 23, Route 666 (White Church Road) in Botetourt County is scheduled to be closed for replacement of the bridge over North Fork Creek. The bridge is located at the intersection of Route 666 and Route 606 (Grove Hill Road). The road is scheduled to be closed from 9 a.m. Friday, June 23 until 9 a.m. Monday, June 26. Signs advising of the closure will be installed two weeks prior to closing the roadway. A detour will be in place with signs directing traffic around the closure.
- Route 639 Guardrail Replacement – Alternating lane closures may be in place on a section of Route 639 (Wheatland Road) in Botetourt County between Route 724 (Goad Road) and Route 732 (Loope Lane). Work will be performed during daytime hours with flaggers controlling traffic. Estimated completion is June.
- Route 615 Guardrail Replacement – Alternating lane closures may be in place on a section of Route 615 (Craig Creek Road) between US 220 (Botetourt Road) and 743 (Draft Road) for guardrail replacement at various locations. Work will be performed during daytime hours with flaggers controlling traffic. Estimated completion is June.
- US 11 Bridge Replacement – Work to replace the existing bridge on Route 11 over Beckner Branch is scheduled to begin this week. A barrier wall is installed and the roadway is reduced from four lanes to two lanes. The two northbound lanes are closed and traffic is diverted in the southbound lanes with one lane open in each direction. This traffic pattern will be in place until fall 2017. Motorists should use caution and watch for signs and flaggers controlling traffic. Estimated completion of this project is November 2018.