Petting zoo at libraries this week for Summer Reading Program
Botetourt County Library’s Summer Reading Program weekly activities begin next week when Little Critters Petting Zoo visits each of the county libraries.
Registration for the Summer Reading Program for children, young adults and adults is under way at each county library branch.
The Petting Zoo is at Eagle Rock Library and Fincastle Library today, Wednesday, June 14. The program is at 10 a.m. in Eagle Rock and at 6 p.m. in Fincastle.
The Petting Zoo will be at the Buchanan Library (this program will be at the Town Park on Lowe Street) at 10 a.m. and the Blue Ridge Library at 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 15.
Next week, Bricks 4 Kidz will be at libraries. Free advance registration is required for this program and tickets are available at each library or calling the local library (see numbers below)
Bricks 4 Kidz will be at the Fincastle Library Wednesday, June 21 at two different times, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 2-4 p.m.
Books for Kidz will be at the Blue Ridge Library Thursday, June 22 at two different times, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. The program will be at the Buchanan Library on Friday, June 23 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and at the Eagle Rock Library on June 23 from 2-4 p.m.
- June 28-29- Virginia Wildlife Center offers up close experiences with live animals.
- July 5-7- A special movie showing complete with ice cream. Movie title to be announced later.
- July 12-13- Musical puppet show featuring Pete and Sam, the Pig Brothers.
- July 19-20- Hoots & Hiccups- Learn amazing facts about owls from Mountain Castle’s Tim Miller.
- July 26-27- The magic of Michael Chamberlin.
Contact information for each library is as follows:
- Blue Ridge Library, 928-2900
- Buchanan Library, 928-3005
- Eagle Rock Library, 928-2800
- Fincastle Library, 928-2700
Buchanan Dates To Remember
- Buchanan Special Events Committee – Join in the planning of upcoming activities on Wednesday, June 14 at 7 p.m. in the meeting room of the Buchanan Town Hall.
- Buchanan Lions Club – Members meet on the second and fourth Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the North Star Restaurant. The next meeting is Thursday, June 22. For additional information or if you are interested in joining the Lions Club, contact Mike Burton at 254-3345.
- Big Ticket Raffle – Big Ticket Raffle tickets are available now for the 64th annual Buchanan Community Carnival. Enter today for the opportunity to win $5,000. For more information, contact the Buchanan Town Hall at 254-1212.
- Buchanan Fourth of July Parade – Be part of this year’s 64th annual Buchanan Fourth of July Parade to be held on Tuesday, July 4. Line up is at 4 p.m. with the parade beginning at 5 p.m. Fill out your application found in this week’s Fincastle Herald. For more information, call the Buchanan Town Hall at 254-1212.
‘Healthy Snacks for Youth’ June 22
Becky Allen, Master Food Volunteer, is returning to the Buchanan Library with a program on “Healthy Snacks for Youth.” Everyone will learn about making and eating healthy snacks as part of children’s daily diets. Becky will also being asking children from the audience to participate in helping her to make the snacks with healthy and tasty ingredients. Adults will enjoy these snacks also. “Healthy Snacks for Youth” will be held on June 22 at 11 a.m. at the Buchanan Library. The program is free and open to the Public. The library is located at 19795 Main Street Buchanan; 928-3005.
‘Sundaes on Sunday’ at Eagle Rock
The Eagle Rock Fire and Rescue Department is having “Sundaes on Sunday” again this summer. The remaining dates are July 9, August 13 and September 10 from 3-6 p.m. Twelve toppings, whipped cream and cherries will be available. The members will also be serving hot fudge brownies and banana splits. The first scoop for sundaes is $2, and additional scoops are $1; hot fudge brownies are $5 and banana splits, $6.